Monday, October 18, 2010

3?aK Episode 48: The Grand Finale

Well, we've finally come to the last episode of 3?aK. I'm sure this is a monumental moment for a lot of you. I imagine it must be similar to the bittersweet feeling of watching the final episode of M*A*S*H or Lost. But all good things must come to an end. Sometimes even the greatest ideas run their course. I had a lot of fun asking people these questions over the course of a year, but once you see who the final interviewee is, you'll see why I decided to put 3?aK to rest. Anyway, on to the background info...

Back in 2007, when I was the music writer for College Times, Kip Winger blew me off for an interview because he was on “vocal lockdown.” I didn’t want to see the questions I’d prepared go to waste, so for the next year, I asked everyone I interviewed if they’d be willing to get into character and answer the following “Three Questions as Kip.”

If you're new to 3?aK and want a more detailed history of how this project came to be, click here.

OK, now that you're up to speed, let's get on with the show. Playing the role of Kip Winger for this installment of 3?aK will be none other than the man himself, Kip Winger.



3?aK Episode 48: Kip Winger (Winger)

1. We've already seen disco and '80s synth pop make comebacks. Do you think a hair metal renaissance is right around the corner?

It already came and went.

2. Can you let our readers in on your secret to maintaining the perfect 5 o'clock shadow?

Ha! Don’t shave. Go buy a beard trimmer.

3. What have you been up to for the last 15 years?

I’ve made five albums in the last 15 years. You just haven’t been watching or caring.

So there you have it. Almost a year to the day after Kip blew me off for that fateful interview, I finally got the chance to speak to him after all. It was March 2008 and Winger was still on tour promoting Winger IV and their then-new live album. They had another show at Martini Ranch in Scottsdale and when the opportunity arose to finally interview Kip, I, of course, jumped at the chance. I'm not gonna lie: I was kinda nervous explaining the whole premise and asking him these questions, but he was a good sport and took it in stride. Hell, the guy has made more money and banged more hot chicks than I could ever hope for, so I don't think he was too concerned about some idiot at a college newspaper in Tempe having a few laughs at his expense


For the record, I went to the Winger show and I was thoroughly impressed. It's not really my style of music, but the guy can still sing, and he's a lot better bass player than people give him credit for. I even spoke to him briefly after the show and he was quite cordial.


So thanks, Kip. It was a fun and enlightening year. Now if only this damn 3?aK thing would go viral...

Go back to the origin.

1 comment: