Thursday, August 12, 2010

3?aK Episode 29: James Mercer (The Shins)

Back in 2007, when I was the music writer for College Times, Kip Winger blew me off for an interview because he was on “vocal lockdown.” I didn’t want to see the questions I’d prepared go to waste, so for the next year, I asked everyone I interviewed if they’d be willing to get into character and answer the following “Three Questions as Kip.”

If you're new to 3?aK and want a more detailed history of how this project came to be, click here.

OK, now that you're up to speed, let's get on with the show. Playing the role of Kip Winger for this installment of 3?aK will be James Mercer of indie rockers the Shins.



3?aK Episode 29: James Mercer (The Shins)

1. We've already seen disco and '80s synth pop make comebacks. Do you think a hair metal renaissance is right around the corner?

I think he’d probably say something like “Hair metal never went away, man. That shit’s here to stay. And, uh, you need to fuckin’ get some new records. You need to stop shoppin’ in the fag section.”

2. Can you let our readers in on your secret to maintaining the perfect 5 o'clock shadow?

Oh yeah. You go on eBay and you find that “Miami Vice” brand of shaver that lets you adjust the blades.

3. What have you been up to for the last 15 years?

Oh god. Probably been drinking too much and reminiscing too much. Just sort of bellyachin’ and livin’ in the past. (laughs) This guy’s probably gonna kick my ass or something.


Go to Episode 30.

No comments:

Post a Comment